Getting your toilet clean can really be a chore that no one would like to partake in.
Getting it to be spotless and free from smudge, grease and germs takes both patients and care.
Which means time and effort, now that’s what most people are not willing to sacrifice.
There are several commercial toilet cleaners that you could readily purchase from your local store, but these cleaners are known to contain carcinogenic compounds that can be detrimental to your long-term health.
Analysing Your Regular Commercial Cleaner
Do you use bleach?
Well if you do, you must know that it is dangerous to the lungs of children which are still growing and developing.
Bleach is highly corrosive and causes irritation to your skin.
If you mix bleach with acid it will release a highly toxic gas, this is because of the chlorine present in bleach.
It also has about 10-50% hydrochloric acid that has been linked to respiratory tract irritation when inhaled as well as kidney damage.
There are also some brands of bleach that come in various fragrances and you could get an allergic reaction to them, such as lung irritation and headaches. Some products are even known to possess hormone disruptors.
The Homemade DIY Toilet Cleaner
- Baking soda -- ½ cup
- Citric acid -- ½ cup
- Corn-starch -- ½ cup
- Water put in a spray bottle
- Zip-top bag -- gallon size
- Essential Oils ( for cleaning Lemon or Orange) -- 25 drops essential oils
Also get a mold, you can use a muffin tin for adequate storing.
- Put your ingredients in the bag and shake very well, however don’t include the essential oil just yet.
- After shaking the bag well open it and add about 2-3 spritzes of water from your spray bottle.
- You should then close the bag and have it knead.
- You can repeat step 2 about 5-7 more times, note if your bag should get puffy, let out the air, this is caused by the mixture of the baking soda and citric acid.
- The mixture should eventually feel sort of like pie dough, so just pick a handful and squeeze, if the mixture stays together then you can proceed to use it.
- Also try to avoid over watering.
- Next you add the essential oils then you re-knead your mixture.
- Make sure the mixture is firmly packed into the molds.
- Allow it to dry for about two full days.
- Afterwards look for a higher platform to put the molds and leave it there for a further two days to dry.
- You can then store in an air tight container till you intend using them.
- Drop the homemade toilet cleaner in your toilet bowl.
- Once you do that you will notice that it will start to fizz.
- Use a toilet brush to then scrub your toilet bowl and after which you can flush.
This recipe is environmentally friendly and highly effective in cleaning you toilets and ridding it of germs and foul odors.
Another sources linked in Family Life Goals’s article:
Featured Image Source: familylifegoals.com