If you experience leg cramps often especially at night, then you are likely to suffer from sleeplessness and discomfort at night.
Leg cramps are caused by sudden and unexpected tightening and contractions of your muscles that can last for anything between a few seconds to a couple of minutes and it can occur as you are about falling asleep or about waking up from sleep.
But Why Do My Legs Cramp Up At Night?
It is believed that dehydration is one reason for leg cramps at night.
Other possible reasons include:
- Flat feet
- Kidney disease
- Keeping your leg in an awkward posture or position for an extended period of time
- Some sort of trauma to your muscles
- As a consequence of vigorous exercise
- The use of certain medications such as ; birth control pills, steroids and diuretics
- Deficiency in certain minerals such as; calcium and potassium.
There are several homemade remedies for muscle cramps that you can try out today some include:
- Use Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is rich in magnesium which helps to promote muscle healing and relaxation.
- You need to fill up your bathtub with warm water then add two cups of epsom salt in the water and stir it in thoroughly.
- Next you need to soak yourself in the bath for up to 20 minutes.
- You should get an instant relief from a single use of this remedy, however you can repeat the remedy as often as needed if you do not get an immediate relief.
- You should note also that it is not advisable to use Epsom salt if you are suffering from diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Try Out Yellow Mustard
You will relieve your leg cramps quickly if you make use of mustard which is rich in magnesium.
It is not uncommon for athletes suffering from leg cramps to be told to consume a couple of spoons of mustard in order to combat their leg cramp problems.
Mustard also contains high amounts of acetic acid that helps in the production of acetylcholine which is a neurotransmitter that stimulates your muscles to function properly.
- The Nuvia Cramp Recipe
You can also try out this famous recipe, all you need to do is get the following components.
- Cloves -- 1 tablespoon
- Rosemary -- 1 tablespoon
- Anise seeds -- 1 tablespoon
- Oregano -- 1 tablespoon
- First of all, add all the ingredients to about two cups of clean water in a pot on a low heat.
- Allow it to simmer till there is only half of the cup of water left.
- You should drink this tea while it’s warm and also just before bedtime.
You should also know that dehydration is a cause of muscle cramps, so make sure you drink sufficient amounts of water daily to stay hydrated as you could have muscle problems due to heavy sweating, heat exhaustion or intense thirst.