If there is one fruit that most people love, its Avocados.
These fruits are nutritious and extremely beneficial to your health.
Avocados are rich in healthy raw fat beneficial to weight loss, they are also rich in about 20 essential minerals and vitamins namely:
- Folic acid
- Potassium (Avocados are believed to have twice as much potassium as bananas)
- Vitamin E
Avocados are also rich in carotenoids which are anticancer compounds.
In 2010, the California Avocado Commission gave guidelines for the proper peeling of avocados in order to derive maximum benefits from it.
It is believed that California grown avocados are rich in 11 carotenoids, this is according to USDA’s Agricultural Research Service, they also comprise of phytonutrients.
This compound -- carotenoids has been known to protect humans from cancer, age-related macular degeneration and even heart disease.
Avocados also have a great influence on hoisting your immune system as they are rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
The fruit will also help your body absorb fat-soluble nutrients from other fruits and veggies such as alpha, beta-carotene and lutein.
Avocados can boost brain functions, regulate the body’s weight and prevent liver overload because of its abundance of amino acid lecithin.
With the large number of health benefits you can derive from avocados it is important to keep this fruit fresh.
Here’s how to keep your avocados fresh.
- As soon as you cut open your avocado fruit you should put it in an air tight container with a piece of onion to prevent it from changing colour due to an enzyme known as polyphenol oxidase.
- Just chop the onion in large chunks place it in an airtight container and place the cut avocado on top of the onions.
- The onions will release gases that prevents oxidation thereby keeping the avocado fresh while it has been refrigerated.
- Your avocado can stay refrigerated this way for between 5 to 7 days.