Nowadays, there are more and more people suffer from insomnia. Insomnia is a sleep disorder which is characterize by the difficulty to fall or stay asleep at night even though you actually have the opportunity to fall asleep. Due to the sleep deprivation, insomnia can cause sleepiness on daytime, fatigue and the feeling of being unwell both physically and psychologically.
A Group of researchers conducted a lab-based study that involves dozen of people suffer from chronic insomnia and found that this issue can affect daily performance and hypertension. It can raise blood pressure and increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
12 Habits You Need To Avoid If You Suffer From Insomnia
If you suffer from insomnia, there are certain habits you need to avoid to eliminate this problem. Below you can find 12 habit that you need to avoid if you suffer from insomnia.
- Do not drink water before you go to bed. Drinking a lot of water before going to bed will make you awake around 3 times at night. Visiting the bathroom several times at night can be enough reason to be sleepless.
- Avoid taking nap during daytime. Train your body to have a good sleeping routine by going to bed by going to bed the same time every single day. This will help your brain to prepare for the “shut down” and help you fall asleep quickly.
- Keep your mobile phone and tables away from you side. If you put your devices around you, there will be higher chance for you to reach them and spend another hour texting or browsing. So, avoid the use of electronic device prior going to sleep. The lights radiates from the device will affect your brain and make It harder for your to sleep immediately.
- Do you like reading books? Well.. That’s a good habit that will surely help you broaden your knowledge. But if you want to avoid insomnia, you need to avoid reading book before you go to bed. Instead, you can read it in the afternoon.
- Do not use alarm clock with bright light. Though this kind of alarm will make it easier for you to check the time, the light will disturb you and affect your brain in doing the “shut down”.
- Choose a high quality of mattress as your bed. Poor quality of mattress can make you have a hard time to sleep like a baby.
- Avoid taking dinner at least 2 hours prior going to sleep. Heavy meal will make your stomach full and keep you awake longer than you would like to.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise will energize your body and help you wake up fresh. Remember that the exercise should not be done within 3 hours before bedtime.
- Keep your feet warm. Cover it with blanket or put on your socks. Some people may have cold feet and it will contribute to the difficulties of falling asleep.
- Do some bedtime routine. Bedtime routine can be something like going to the bathroom, washing your face and brushing your teeth. This activities will prepare your brain for sleeping and help you have a good night sleep.
- Do you like coffee? It may be a good option to energize you on daytime. But you need to avoid drinking coffee at least 4 hours before bedtime if you don’t want to stay awake all night.
- Pay attention to your sleeping posture. Sleeping with proper posture can help you have a better sleep and avoid back pain or neck pain in the next morning. Avoid sleeping on your stomach since this is the worst position for sleeping.
If you can successfully implement the above 12 habits, you will be able to get rid of your insomnia and can perform at your best again on daytime.