The price of the most expensive spice in the world is calculated by weight, that spice is saffron which is obtained from the flower saffron crocus (Crocus sativus). Experts often describe the aroma and flavor of saffron as a honey-like note of grass or hay. It gives the food light-yellow-like color, similar to orange. It is used in many kitchens like Chinese, Indian, Turkish, and Arabic. It is also used as a medicine, as a textile dye and in the procedure of making perfumeries.
- Saffron is believed to have anticancer (suppresses cancer) antimutagenic (prevents mutation), immunomodulatory and antioxidant properties.
- Saffron also helps with depression, and hence impacts the weight loss.
- It helps in relieving the symptoms of PMS.
- Inhibits histamine H1 receptors, which means it helps with allergies.
- Has a protective role on the health of the heart.
- Protects eyes from strong direct effect of light and stress on the cornea.
- However, you should know that saffron in the kitchen needs to be used in small amounts. Otherwise you get the less appealing balmy taste. Saffron fits great with all dishes that include rice and sweet and great recipes which will welcome its incredibly beautiful yellow color. Just to mention once again that saffron should be used in smaller quantities.
You can buy here: Mehr Saffron, Premium All Red Saffron / 1-gram Corked Jar