For dessert you can try out this paleo friendly, dairy free ice cream recipe consisting of coconut milk.
This recipe is quite easy to prepare and requires only four basic ingredients and you don’t even need an ice cream maker as well.
Coconut milk is one of the ingredients or you can use coconut cream if you like. You can obtain coconut cream from your specialty food and health store or go online and place an order for it.
How Important Is Coconut?
Coconut milk is derived from the white flesh of coconut after it has been extracted from its hard shell.
The coconut cream is actually the cream that rises to the top of coconut milk after it is made. The milk is made by grating and subjecting the coconut flesh to high temperatures.
Coconut is rich in the following nutrients; Vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, C, E, dietary fibers and many more minerals. Milk from coconut is a great natural alternative to dairy products because many people are lactose intolerant and dairy products can cause diarrhea.
The fatty acids in coconut milk help to protect the body from bacteria and virus infection. You need not worry about your cholesterol count as the saturated fats of coconut is of the healthy type.
The Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
This recipe takes about 25 minutes to prepare and is for between 3 to 4 servings. The cooking time is approximately 4 hours.
- Coconut milk or cream (chilled overnight) -- 1 14 oz. canned.
- Maple syrup -- 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract -- 2 t
- Tapioca flour and water (make it into a slurry) -- 4 t
- Use melted chocolate drizzle
- Or unsweetened coconut flakes
- Use fruits as toppings
- Make sure the canned coconut milk is chilled overnight (ideal).
- Or chill the mixing bowl and canned coconut milk for 15 minutes prior to preparation.
- Whip in the mixing bowl with an egg beater or a stand mixer the following; chilled coconut milk, vanilla extract, tapioca slurry and maple syrup.
- Whip for about 10 minutes or less until you get a thick and creamy mix.
- Get a freezer safe container and pour the ice cream base into it, after which wrap it with a plastic wrap and foil.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or if you can overnight.
Once the ice cream is frozen let it thaw for about 10 minutes before you consume.
Another sources linked in Family Life Goals’s article:
Featured image Source: familylifegoals.com