Restless and sleepless night can be a thing to dread especially if you have to wake up early the next day to go to work.
It is recommended that we get at least 8 hours of sleep daily to be able to function effectively during the day.
Sleeping disorders can be caused by anxiety, depression and stress. For you to get a good night sleep your body and mind needs to be relaxed.
Off-The-Counter Or Prescription Medication Can Also Cause Sleeplessness or Insomnia
Prescription medication like pain drugs, heart and blood pressure medications as well as antihistamines can keep you up all night. While some of these medications can initially make you feel drowsy, you will also be burdened with frequent trips to the bathroom as they are also potent diuretics, this makes it difficult for you to sleep for long periods at a time.
The Banana Tea Solution!
Bananas are rich in potassium and magnesium, the latter being known to prevent sleep disturbance. Both the magnesium and potassium in the banana combine to help your muscles relax.
The peak of the banana is particularly loaded with these minerals and should not be discarded.
Please note that you should go for organic bananas and not GMO ones as for the latter it is difficult to get rid of the pesticides and other preservative chemicals used in its production.
In making this tea you don’t have to worry about it taking your time as it takes only 10 minutes and it should be taken just before bedtime.
- Organic banana -- 1
- A small pot of clean water
- Cinnamon -- a dash ( this us optional)
Preparation And Consumption
- Just cut both ends of the banana and put it in your pot of water whole, with its peel.
- Place the pot on a stove and boil the banana for about 10 minutes.
- Use a colander to strain the water into a mug.
- If you like you can sprinkle a dash of cinnamon to your tea for flavouring.
- Drink the tea at least one hour before bedtime.
The banana in the pot is not to be thrown away but you can eat it with the peel and all. Add a dash of cinnamon to it and enjoy it as a dessert.
Sleeping Pills Are Bad For You And Here’s Why…
It is not uncommon to pop some sleeping pills to help us go to sleep and this can be a daily routine. However, this habit can be dangerous.
Sleeping pills fall under a class of drugs called sedative hypnotics and these include;
- Benzodiazepines and
- Barbiturates drugs, some popular ones are valium and Xanax.
These drugs can be addictive and are specifically meant to be used in the treatment of anxiety disorders.
They work by increasing ones drowsiness. The barbiturates help to depress the central nervous system and are used as sedatives and anesthetics.
These drugs have harmful side effects that include;
- Parasomnias (where you do stuff without even knowing it)
- Stomach pain
- Shaking uncontrollably
- Focusing difficulty
- Shortness of breath which can be fatal if you are asthmatic.
The Adverse Effects Of Sleeplessness To Your Body
- You find it difficult to focus on simple tasks during the day.
- You are more likely to be forgetful, moody and easily aggravated.
- Your energy levels will be down and your reaction time and speed will be affected, this is especially dangerous if you have to drive your car or handle motoring equipment at work.
- It is a pointer to other serious ailments like diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular problems and cancer.
You need to know your stress-factor(s) which could be responsible for your sleeplessness and deal with it as getting rest is very important to your overall health.