Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that our brain releases. This neurotransmitter is necessary for the proper functioning of various organs in our body.
This neurotransmitter is effective in our body in the following ways:
- It helps to regulate the secretion of prolactin.
- It helps in regulating body movement.
- It aids in improving your cognitive functions (i.e. attention, knowledge, evaluation, memory, decision-making and problem solving skills)
- It helps to control the center of pleasure and reward in your brain.
When the dopamine level in our body is reduced it could lead to:
- Mood swings
To avoid these health issues you will need to raise your dopamine level and you can do this in these 10 effective ways.
1. Detoxify Regularly
A build-up of bacteria and toxins in the body can weaken your immune system and lower the dopamine production in the body. You should regularly detoxify your body and rid it of these harmful toxins.
2. Regular Exercise
When you exercise you raise your endorphin, serotonin and dopamine levels. You will feel fit, healthy, happy and stress free.
3. Stay Off Illicit Drugs And Other Addictions
You should avoid being addicted to;
These addictions only provide a temporary fix to our stress and depression. Addictions change our lifestyle and suit it to our source of addiction. You should try engaging in hobbies and a job that makes you happy.
4. Have An Increased Tyrosine
Tyrosine is an amino acid which is just one out of 22 essential amino acids that are helpful in the production of proteins. It is also a vital chemical for dopamine production.
You can raise your tyrosine levels when you consume avocados, dark chocolate, green tea and watermelons.
5. Listen To Music
When you listen to music your dopamine levels increase for a short time, so you should listen to music frequently to relieve stress and depression.
6. Engage In Creative Activities
Your dopamine level increases when you engage in mind tasking and skill required activities such as painting, sculpturing, cooking, auto repair, knitting, writing, dancing and singing.
7. Get Yourself Organised
When you are organised you have a feeling of satisfaction and this is because your dopamine levels will be raised. You can write down your daily tasks and execute them one by one.
8. Consistency Helps
When you do things continuously and you aren’t successful in these tasks your dopamine level will rise as you have a sense of accomplishment.
9. Engage In Medication
This form of exercise is great for raising your dopamine level and it improves your mood and helps you to relax.
10. Take Supplements
When you take certain supplements your dopamine level will increase.
These supplements include:
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Curcumin which is an active component in turmeric can raise your dopamine level.
- L-theanine is known to raise several neurotransmitters in the brain and dopamine is one of such neurotransmitters. You can get this compound from green tea.
- Acetyl-l-tyrosine helps to support the production of dopamine.