So you have suddenly noticed a strange odour in your clothes after they come out of your washing machine. You are trying to find out the reason for it inside your washing machine compartment and you find that there are some black unidentified stains between the rubber rings or in the washing powder compartment. If you have not done anything so far, it is time to act now, as you might be leading into potentially dangerous fungi that can bring you diseases even before you understand.
Knowing your washing machine
Mold, a fungus that grows in the form of multi-cellular thread like structures called hyphae, is micro-organisms that look for such ideal spaces to grow such as your washing machine compartments to thrive. They attribute to food spoilage, and also in various forms of bio-degradation activities. In this case however, the mold deposits in the washing machines can be a serious concern.
Places of high humidity and heat are ideal for the growth of molds and the bathrooms gives them such breeding environment. Also, the remote spaces in the washing machines where only micro-particles can reach can be often tricky to clean and maintain, and this allows these micro-organisms an opportunity to multiply faster. Finally, they silently make their way into the clothes in your washing machine. Even before you notice, these spores can then make contact with your skin, often leading to unwanted diseases.
The ‘Secret Ingredients’
Before I come to dealing with this nuisance, you must be wondering, what are the two ingredients that solve the problem of keeping your washing machine clean for a long time? Here’s all you need to know about them;
- Liquid Detergent with Chlorine: Chlorine based formulations have been used as cleaning agents and disinfectants for a long time now. They are very effective and, at when used in correct concentrations and in a correct way, can give remarkably effective results.
- Lemon Salt or potassium hydrogen oxalate: This powder, which is also erroneously called salt of lemon, is in reality composed simply of equal portions of finely pulverized salt of sorrel and cream of tartar, and is used for removing strong ink stains; Which means, it can also help you target the molds inside your washing machine hard enough.
How to Use the Secret Ingredients to keep your machine clean
So, now that you have noticed those black stains in your washing machine compartment, and you know all about the secret ingredients, it is time to take action and get rid of those nasty molds in your machine. Here’s how you can do that:-
- A liquid cleaning detergent containing chlorine
- A sponge
- 25gr salt of lemon or potassium hydrogen oxalate
- Clean the interior of the washing machine with some tissues to get rid of the superficial dust accumulated dirt inside the unreachable crevices.
- Apply the chlorinated cleaning agent over the entire rubberized surface including the rubber rings. Make sure that you have distributed the agent evenly over the entire surface.
- Allow the agent to percolate into the spaces by closing the lid and leaving the machine for few hours.
- Put the washing machine on the ‘Rinse Settings’
- Put some lemon salt into the detergent compartment and set your washing machine to the highest temperature.
- In case you do not have the temperature settings in your washing machine, try to use warm water. Use hot water with a temperature of about 75°C -- 80°C. This acts as a substitute for the washing machines with temperature module.
- It is now time to turn it on.
Once you have done the rinsing process 15-20 minutes, it is now time to check the machine for its interiors. Viola! In the end, your washing machine will look like new. Repeat the process if necessary. Do it every month and you can continue to have a sparkling clean washing machine free of harmful micro-particles and a clean and hygienic clothing for use.
Finally, it is a great idea to keep the door of your washing machine open after every washing cycle. Exposure to air allows drying of the interior surfaces faster and prevents creating conditions for mold breeding and proliferation. This significantly improves the life of your washing machine
Small preventive habits go a long way to not only improve the hygiene and living standards in your household, but also help to maintain the household equipment for a longer time. Use this simple experiment to keep your washing machine and your clothes clean, safe, fresh and long-lasting, with every use.