Gout is a kind of metabolic problem that causes joint inflammation. It can cause stiffness and minor swelling in the joints. But sometimes it could cause severe swelling and pain that can appear in just hours. Uric acid overload is one of the main causes behind gout. This overload occurs due to ineffective waste removal or excess creation of it.
Uric acid is produced in our body when there is decomposition of purines. These are chemical compounds which can not only be found naturally in foods, they also occur in our body.
But when our kidneys are unable to remove uric acid, there will be crystal formation, which will deposit around our joints.
You could do so much to eliminate uric acid and bring improvement to your condition. The first places to start with are your diet and lifestyle.
Start by taking a healthy diet that has high amounts of fresh and colorful fruits and veggies. The other foods include seafood, lean meat, and whole grains which are unenriched and unprocessed.
At the same time, you must avoid or minimize consumption of processed sugars like corn syrup containing high fructose levels and foods having high levels of saturated fats, and also alcohol.
Water is not only great in hydrating our body, it also helps in eliminating toxins and uric acid overload. So make sure that your body is always hydrated by using the ideal mix of water, fruit infused water, natural juices (free from added sugar), and herbal teas (with honey as sweetener).
You should also minimize stress using some creative and simple physical activities or routines. You may go hiking or go exploring the natural landscape, or spend time meditating and relaxing in a great environment.
Natural Tonics for Gout
Here are some highly effective natural tonics for gout:
- Baking Soda – According to research, baking soda is a powerful prophylaxis for reducing uric acid in our body. Add 1/2 teaspoon in 1 glass water and drink daily to effectively prevent gout. If you have existing gout attack, add 1 teaspoon to water and drink.
- Lemon Water – The wonderful benefits and applications of lemon water are well known. You can also use it for fighting gout. When our body system is more alkaline and less acidic, it is capable of preventing so many health problems and this includes gout. Lemon water is appetizing and helps in increasing our body’s alkalinity. It also helps in preventing the formation of uric acid crystals. Take half a lemon and squeeze it into 8 oz. of warm water. Drink daily when you wake up in the morning.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Vinegar can also help in increasing your body’s alkalinity. It has malic acid that helps in disintegrating uric acid. It also helps in eliminating it from your body. You can use it by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 8 oz. of water and drinking it daily before lunch and dinner.
Useful Foods for Gout
Besides, you can also take many foods for treating or preventing gout:
- Turmeric – The curcumin in turmeric as been found in research studies to play a crucial role in providing renal protection. Besides, it also has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bromelain – This is an important ingredient in pineapples. It has been proven to have anti-inflammatory benefits and analgesic effects.
- Flaxseed – According to a lab test conducted at the Federal Fluminense University, flaxseed has wonderful properties that helped in reducing serum uric acid in the participants.