It is estimated that as many as 20 to 30% of Americans will have one form of joint pain or another in their life time.
This pain can be caused by several factors and some include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sprain or strain
Joint pain can also occur at any part of the body, however it is most common at the hips, knees and shoulders.
A person suffering from joint pain may experience mild to severe pain which can be accompanied by joint stiffness and inflammation.
If you are experiencing joint pain then you can provide relief with these 10 DIY home remedies today!
Try Out Ginger
You can treat joint and muscle pains with ginger as it has very potent anti-inflammatory properties. You can drink ginger tea several times daily.
- Boil ginger root for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink straight away or add our honey for taste.
2. Try Massage
This will boost blood circulation to the area as well as soothe inflammation in the process. You can use coconut oil, olive oil or even castor and garlic oil as an effective massage oil.
3. Consume Fenugreek
This is a popular remedy to combat joint pain and this is as a result of its excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and if you suffer from arthritis then this is a useful remedy.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of fenugreek, then drink lukewarm water afterwards.
- Take this daily and every morning before breakfast.
- You can also soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seed in water and leave this overnight. In the morning you can eat the seeds, it works wonders!
4. Use Cold And Hot Compresses
You can get instant relief from joint pain when you alternate between hot and cold compresses to reduce swelling and pain.
Make sure you wrap the two compresses in towels prior to using them, as you don’t want to apply them directly to your skin.
- Just apply the hot compress to your troubled spot and leave in for about 3 minutes.
- Then you remove this compress and apply your cold compress and leave for about 1 minute.
- You should try this procedure several times a day until you get some relief.
5. Use Turmeric
This spice has a compound known as curcumin which has effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Studies have shown that curcumin is as effective as ibuprofen in the relief of pain especially in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- Just mix in a glass, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a tablespoon of pure honey.
- You should drink this mixture everyday and for about 5 days straight.
6. Try Out Cayenne Pepper
This pepper has a compound known as capsaicin which is a natural analgesic.
Studies have shown that when a gel containing about 0.0125% of capsaicin is applied to a troubled spot it will provide relief from pain. This was seen in women with knee osteoarthritis in 2010 and published in the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand.
- Heat up 1/2 cup of coconut oil and then mix 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder.
- Next, apply this mixture to your troubled spot and leave in for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off afterwards and repeat this procedure several times daily for best results.
7. Try Out Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
This natural drink will get rid of built up toxins in your joints thereby relieving you of pain.
It us rich in magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus which are minerals necessary for proper bone development. Just mix 3 teaspoons if ACV with pure honey and in a cup of warm clean drinking water.
- You should drink this solution 2 to 3 times daily.
- It’s best you do so before meals.
8. Use Epsom Salt
With baths using Epsom salt your body gets to absorb magnesium through the pores of your skin. As you may know joint pain has been linked with low levels of magnesium in the body.
Magnesium is also great in reducing swelling as well as in detoxification of cells in the body
- You can mix Epsom salt in warm bathing water.
- Then just soak in this bath for about 20 minutes.
- Make sure you try this procedure thrice weekly for best results.
9. Use Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle is rich in boron which is a mineral needed by the joints and bones for healthy development.
- Boil water and pour in a cup, next you should put in 2 to 3 teaspoons of dried nettle leaves.
- Leave this for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain and drink.
- Try this procedure thrice daily for best results.
- You can also place some nettle leaves on your troubled spot and leave it there for 30 seconds. You should do this daily for 7 days at least.
10. Use Garlic
Garlic us rich in selenium and sulfur which is useful if you have joint pain and arthritis. Sulfur will reduce inflammation and joint pain. It is also known that the blood of arthritic patients have low levels of selenium. This mineral has a high antirheumatic effect.
You should make sure to include garlic in all your meals or eat 2 to 3 garlic cloves daily. If you can’t stand its taste and smell then garlic supplements can be taken in accordance with the prescribed dosage.