Everyone has asked this very simple question – what is the reason that some people are left-handed? Even experts do not know the real reason for this, but as they say it is probably some kind of complex relation with environment and genes. There have not been divided exactly the ‘left genes’ from the ‘right genes’, but as it is connected with genes, people who use their left hand also have more left-handed relatives in their family. There have also been discovered different brain wirings for the left-handed and the right-handed people. We have noticed that lefties are more independent people due to their experience in adapting to the right handed world we all live in.
Because left-handed people are often around us, we all should know some facts and things about them. Here we have selected 23 amazing facts, which we are sure you have never heard of:
- 5 to 10% of the people around the world are left-handed.
- The right side of the brain is used more often with left-handed people.
- Left-handed people are good in many sports: tennis, boxing, baseball, swimming and other. What is interesting is that over 40% of all the top tennis players are left-handed. So next time you watch tennis, try to notice that this fact is true and which are left-handed.
- Left-handed people who graduate from college have 26% more chance to become richer that their right-handed colleagues.
- The English word ‘left’ origins from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘lyft’ which actually means something broken or weak.
- As we already said that 90% of people are right-handed, cats, rats and mice have equally percentage between right and left pawedness.
- Also an interesting fact is that one of the four Apollo astronauts was always left-handed.
- And some bad news for the left-handed is that they are more prone to asthma and allergies than a right-handed person.
- Did you know that the longest words can be typed using only the left hand with conventional hand placement are sweater, dresses and tesserae decades?
- Besides being more prone to allergies, left-handed people are also more prone to suffer from insomnia.
- Some of the’ best known’ or most wanted murderers were also left-handed like: Jack the Ripper, Osama Bin Laden and The Boston Strangles.
- A study has also shown that left-handed people express their emotions very differently that right-handed people. They get angry more often compared to the right-handed ones.
- One benefit also from being left-handed is the fact that they can see better under water than the right-handed.
- There is also a ‘holiday’ for the left-handed people. Believe it or not, it is August 13th celebrated as the International Left-Handers Day.
- As we already mentioned that left-handedness is genetically connected, this is the proof for that. The British Royal family has more left-handed people: the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William.
- One research shows that if left-handed people become unable to use their dominant hand they can easily learn to use the other one, as opposite to the ones who use the right-hand as dominant.
- One statistic that we like to share is that approximately 30 million people in the United States are left-handed.
- Due to the different brain wiring of the left-handed, they are more talented in math, architecture and spatial awareness. The right-handed are more talented verbally.
- If you want to have a left-handed baby, you have 128% more chance for this if you are pregnant in your 40s, compared to pregnant women in their 20s.
- In the past, left-handedness and left-handed people was thought to be a very bad thing. It was also related to many things: a sign of neurosis, mark of the devil, rebellion, nasty habit, homosexuality and criminality. Left-handedness has also been seen as a trait indicating creativity and musical abilities.
- Another interesting fact is that four out of seven, recent United States presidents were left-handed.
- Other thing that is different between left-handed and right-handed people is that left-handed people reach puberty 5 months later than normal.
- Left-handed people have another bad predisposition- they are 3 times more likely to become alcoholics.