Oregano is spice that is even more nourishing than blueberries, oranges or apples. This tasty herb contains numerous minerals such as copper, niacin, beta carotene and other nutrients.
Studies have shown that oregano is 42 times richer in antioxidants than apples, 12 times richer then oranges and 4 times richer than blueberry.
Oregano, basil and rosemary contain so-called rosemary acid. This potent antioxidant helps prevent damage to cells caused by free radicals. This way it reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease, atherosclerosis and premature aging. Rosemary acid has anti-inflammatory effects and is an effective natural treatment for allergic asthma.
Oregano is also helpful with antibacterial properties. It contains thymol and carvacrol. Studies have shown that these two compounds prevent the growth of many types of bacteria.
Oregano is effective at treating acne, arthritis, cancer, inflammatory conditions and prevents the cells to mutate. Stimulates digestion and functioning of the liver and bile and successfully helps in acute and chronic sinusitis, and virus infections, flu, colds and the chronic headaches.
Use in the kitchen:
To conserve its smell and taste, the leaves of oregano are usually used just before preparing recipe.
Tips for preparation:
- Herb oregano is commonly used as a spice. It is most frequently used for the basis of taste
- It is used to prepare many dishes in Mediterranean and Mexican cuisine since ancient times. Oregano, along with other spices, is used as the basis for foods flavor such as pizza, chicken, fish and roasted meat.
- It is also used for cooking soup, omelets, sauces and marinating.
- Leaves and flower stems are strongly antiseptic and with antispasmodic action, stimulate the secretion of milk, improve digestion, also help in expectoration, reduce sweating and have a mild stimulating effect on the tonic.
- Oregano extract is taken orally for the treatment of colds, flu, mild forms of fever, irregular digestion, stomach pains and menstrual pain.
- Scientists also found out that tiamat have antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Fresh oregano is an excellent addition to any salad.