Green tea is made from the dried leaves of the plant Camellia sinensis, the same plant from which black tea it is made of. The difference between green and black tea is the way of processing.
The usage of green tea is dating for more than 5000 years and is considered to have originated from China. In the past, it was served at various festivities and ceremonies, and was used as a means of maintaining alertness and concentration during meditation.
An Indian legend is linking Prince Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, with the emergence of green tea. It is said that when he traveled through China, Siddhartha was so frustrated that he could not stay awake after long hours spent in meditation, making him tore off his eyelids. At the place where he fell, began to grow the first plant of green tea which allowed him to stay awake.
Today, green tea is distributed worldwide and is considered one of the healthiest beverages.
Why is Green tea so beneficial?
Green tea, and other teas from the plant Camellia sinensis, is a rich source of polyphenols. These are powerful antioxidants that destroy free radicals in the body. One of the world’s oldest known researchers, John Vajsberger claims that green and black teas contain 8-10 times more polyphenols than fruit and vegetables.
Besides antioxidants, green tea contains vitamin C, some B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, potassium, manganese and fluoride.
Green Tea and Health
New evidence for beneficial effects of green tea on health is constantly emerging.
- Prevents cancer. Numerous studies have shown that consumption of green tea helps in protection against cancers of the stomach, esophagus, prostate and pancreas. The results showed that the greater the consumption of green tea, the more it reduces the risk of this sinister disease. Japanese research has shown that women who drink more green tea before and after surgery for breast cancer reduces the risk of recurrence of the disease. Earlier this year, research in California has proved the positive effect of green tea in the prevention of lung cancer. Consumption of at least one cup of green tea a day reduces the risk of developing lung cancer by as much as 5 times.
- Protects against heart disease. Regular consumption of green tea reduces the risk of heart attack and atherosclerosis. It also enables easier and faster recovery for patients who have experienced a heart attack.
- It improves immunity. Green tea helps ward off colds and flu.
- Helps to reduce “bad” cholesterol. Drinking at least 2 cups of green tea a day lowers “bad” cholesterol (LDL) in the body.
- Protects the liver. Green tea has the ability to protect the liver from toxins like alcohol and chemicals found in cigarette smoke.
- Prevents the occurrence of kidney stones. About 5% of the world population suffers from kidney stones, and green tea allows them a natural way to fight against this disease.
- It improves dental health. There is evidence that green tea prevents cavities, but also destroys bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
- Powerful positive effects of green tea is proven to fight skin cancer and Parkinson’s disease, and also anti-inflammatory. Green tea stimulates metabolism, reduces high blood pressure and blood sugar and helps the skin look nice.
You can freely say that green tea is one of those products that you must not skip to buy. Not only it is a great source of health, but is also ideal ally in fighting weight.
It speeds up the metabolism and stimulates the burning of the fat in the body. This reaction happens due to the caffeine and EGCG substance (Epigallocatechin Gallate), which is included in the composition of green tea.
Drinking green tea will not give you visible results overnight. Turn it in your diet, but make sure you count the number of calories.
How to Drink Green Tea?
Green tea contains caffeine and consuming it in large quantities can cause sleep problems. If you have not drunk green tea in your life before, it is best to start with one cup a day.
It is best to be consumed 4-5 cups per day, although Chinese and many experts advise that it is useful to drink 10 cups a day.