Despite its strong, for some, unpleasant smell, garlic is used as a health food for a very long time. Also it is used as a medicine.
Even the builders of the Egyptian pyramids and Roman legionnaires ate garlic on a daily basis to preserve their strength and health.
In 1858, scientist Louis Pasteur confirmed that garlic has antibacterial properties and has been applied as a natural remedy against infection, before the invention of antibiotics.
Garlic contains over 200 biologically active compounds, and many of them are important in the prevention of many diseases. For example, allicin. This substance has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal activities .
In addition, garlic is rich in minerals, calcium, sulfur, phosphorus, iron, carbohydrates, sulfur essential oils, nitrogenous substances, ferments and vitamins: A, C, and vitamin B group (B1, B2, niacin, etc..).
Garlic is considered as an antioxidant because it is rich in sulfur-containing amino acids.
As the most popular vegetable balmy traditional medicine, garlic in the second half of the last century became the object of numerous scientific studies. These studies have confirmed its comprehensive curative.
Results from a large clinical study, which examined 50 000 women from Iowa (USA), aged 55 to 65 years, have shown that garlic is a vegetable which, to a large extent, protects against colon cancer.
White Garlic also reduces cholesterol in the blood, and thus prevents the occurrence of atherosclerosis of the blood vessels.
“Garlic prevents the occurrence of blood clots, which is probably a much safer way of prevention, rather than daily intake of aspirin, which can lead to stomach bleeding,” says Dr. Patrick Holford, founder of the Institute of optimum Nutrition London.
Examining the reasons for the longevity of the inhabitants of the Italian village of Campo di Mele, which is located 130 km south of Rome, the World Health Organization experts have come to conclusion that the structure of the diet of these people is the main reason for their longevity.
Namely, it was determined that the inhabitants of this village ate a lot of bread from whole grains, as well as a lot of garlic and onion, goat’s milk and cheese, beans…
Compounds in garlic that act positively on our health and help us in certain diseases:
- adenosine from garlic inhibits blood clotting,
- organic sulfur components of garlic that contain lower cholesterol and act preventively malignant diseases. Thus, in professional journals Journal of National Cancer Institute and Carcinogenesis published results of scientific research which confirmed anti-carcinogenic effect of garlic
- amino acids of garlic reduces “bad” cholesterol (LDL) in plasma, and increase the concentration of “good” cholesterol (HDL) and triglycerides, even when eating a lot of fatty foods,
- confirmed and its positive impact on the expansion of blood vessels, especially in the peripheral blood vessels, so often use is effective for headaches, painful cramps in the calves, which often occur in the elderly after a short walk,
- leads to lower blood pressure by 5% to 10%
- normalizes the accelerated heart operations, improves the operation of the heart vessels and blood supply to the heart muscle, which leads to improvement of cardiac function and reduce the propensity to thrombosis,
- act of holding the elasticity of blood vessels and reducing blood viscosity,
- improves digestion and gastric work, improves work liver, kidney and prostate
- helps in the treatment of various diseases of the lungs, and is extremely effective for the treatment of influenza and bronchitis,
- white garlic has long been used for the disposal of threadworm,
- proven positive effects of garlic in infections with herpes viruses and yeast fungus (Candida albicans).
Today, it is known that garlic is an important ally against infection, so, it is often recommended to consume it daily. Capsules with garlic extract are good alternative that can also have possitive effect on your health.