We are all consuming lots of processed foods on a daily basis. Then there is the environmental pollution. We intake so much preservatives and additives on a daily basis. All this makes it crucial that our body be given a boost from time to time so that it keeps working properly and remains healthy.
Our liver plays one of the most important roles in eliminating toxins from our body. It works in two main ways:
- Releasing bile for breaking down fats and making it easier to be digested and absorbed.
- Regulation of chemical levels in our blood.
The blood leaving our intestines and stomach will pass through the liver. The organ will process and break it down, and then balance it and turn into the nutrients that can be used by our body. So without the liver, your body will not be able to absorb nutrients from foods.
Our liver is always working for the detoxification of blood. It also keeps producing bile and stores essential vitamins, minerals and iron. So lack of proper functioning of the liver means that the process of digestion gets badly affected. Most importantly, it is the digestion of fats that takes a hit.
You can certainly find so many liver detox plans. Most of them are amazing. At the same time you should ensure that you include these 6 important foods into your regular diet because they are great for keeping your liver healthy.
These 6 liver healthy foods are as following:
- Garlic – Garlic is loaded with so many powerful benefits for your liver. It has selenium in it, a mineral that helps boost antioxidant action which is great for detoxification of liver. The vitamin B6 in garlic works as an anti-inflammatory in your liver. The arginine in garlic, which is an amino acid, helps in giving relaxation to the blood vessels. This helps in easing blood pressure within your liver. Garlic also has vitamin C. It is well known as the primary antioxidant defender that fights cellular oxidation in the body. Cellular oxidation has been known to cause cell damage.
- Grapefruit – How grapefruit works to help your liver is that it contains high amounts of vitamin C and glutathione. The liver also produces glutathione naturally. There are so many processes in our body that require glutathione. This includes producing proteins and chemicals essential for the body, tissue building and repair, and making a stronger immune system. There is around 70mg of glutathione in a grapefruit. It helps your liver in producing detox enzymes.
- Leafy Green Veggies – Most people know leafy green vegetables for their iron content. But they can also help in protecting your liver, as they neutralize chemicals, metals and pesticides from the environment and your foods. You should take more spinach, chicory and arugula because they can help in increasing bile flow and eliminating waste products. You should also take beets because they help in cleansing and purifying your blood. This helps in boosting liver function and increases the production of nutrients in your body. You should also take cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. They are beneficial for the liver in the production of enzymes that aid in removing toxins.
- Avocados – Avocado is well known as a superfood. When you realize that it is also a superfood for your liver, you will have more reasons to eat it. Avocado has glutathione, vitamin C, and vitamin E. These nutrients work as antioxidants that help in neutralizing harmful free radicals and in protecting liver cells against damage. Both vitamin E and K present in this fruit further help in protecting your liver against harmful inflammation because they are anti-inflammatory. They have healthy fats that further help in improving your cholesterol levels.
- Walnuts – You should be taking more walnuts because they are rich in amino acid arginine. It plays an important role in helping your liver in the detoxification of ammonia. Besides, walnuts also contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and glutathione. They support liver detoxification. They are loaded with antioxidants, thus helping in the neutralization of harmful free radicals. They also have healthy unsaturated fats which help in two main ways:
- Protecting from the accumulation of fat in your liver.
- Development of strong cell membranes around the liver cells.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains curcumin as its primary active ingredient. It is known as a very powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. This ingredient also helps in protecting your bile duct. This helps in boosting bile flow, thus working as a liver cleanser. It also helps in rejuvenating your liver cells through the prevention of alcohol and toxins from converting into compounds that could cause damage to your liver. When you sprinkle some turmeric over your food, it helps in adding little flavor while giving its amazing health benefits.
Another sources linked in David Wolfe’s article: www.realfarmacy.com