Baking soda is a common household ingredient. It is used for cooking and cleaning. A little unknown thing about it is that it can be used for home remedies as well. It the age old drugs and medicines, it is nice and refreshing to learn about remedies which you can do yourself at home. It will help you get rid of simple everyday problems at the same time saving cost. They are known as the old wives cures of baking soda.Baking soda are usually a safe ingredient to use. However, precautions have to be taken. It has its side effects. It should be avoided by pregnant woman and young children.
- Use a little baking soda on your toothbrush and clean your teeth with it. It can whiten them.
- To have a fresh breath, use baking soda to gargle your mouth.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda and water forms a good facial scrub. It can remove dead skins, excess oil and help with acne problems.
- You can also make a foot soak with it. Use 3 tablespoons on baking soda, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoons of peppermint and some warm water. Soak your feet in this for 20 minutes. It can help with soreness, bad odor and itchiness.
- Baking soda and water can be used as a paste on the skin for various reasons. It can help with insect bites, bee stings, itching from poison ivy, oak and sumac.
- Canker sores and herpes lesions can also be treated with the above paste. They dry up quickly.
- To get relief from muscle pain, drink a solution of baking soda in water.
- Baking soda and kill nail fungus and remove grime from your nails. Just use it with a damp nail brush.
To treat acidity:
- In 16oz of water, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda. Drink it. It relieves GERD problems, acid reflux and heart burn.
- It can be used to neutralize pH and form an alkaline environment in our body. Take a tall glass and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to about half teaspoon of baking soda. It will create a fizz and bubble up. That is why use a tall glass. Once the fizz settles, add 8oz of water and drink the entire mixture immediately. It will relieve acid-reflux and acidosis.
Other home remedies of baking soda:
- One tablespoon on baking soda in warm water can kill Candida yeast and help with itching.
- Use it to gargle and keep your mouth fresh.
- Urinary tract infections can be treated with it. Add half a teaspoon of baking soda in 8oz of water. Drink it up to twice a day.
- To help with thrombosis, drink the baking soda solution with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- It can prevent diabetes, cancer and systemic fungal infections. Since baking soda can kill yeast, it will help with cancer because it too can be a result of yeast overgrowth. This has been discussed by Dr. Mark Sircus in his book Sodium Bicarbonate.
Always check with your physician before using baking soda. It can deplete all the vitamins and mineral of your body. If you are having a low sodium diet, baking soda should be avoided. It should not be used in combination with certain drugs. Never eat baking soda directly as a powder. Always use it as a solution in the liquid. Do not use the baking soda products for more than 2 weeks at a stretch. Lastly, pregnant women and young children should avoid the use of baking soda.