Ganglion cysts are small round shaped bags that are filled with a dense and viscous liquid and can be seen on joints and tendons.
They vary in size and can appear on the soles of the feet, wrists, fingers and ankles as a solid or spongy mass.
- Discomfort and pain
- A tingling sensation
- Numbness and muscle weakness
No one really knows what causes the cysts but it affects people between the ages of 15 and 40 years.
Women and in particular gymnasts are known to be susceptible to this problem also people with a propensity to osteoarthritis or those that suffer from tendon or joint injury are equal open to the problem.
While majority of these cysts are treatable with simple commercial remedies there are some that need surgical procedure to get rid off.
Here are five natural remedies for the treatment of ganglion cysts.
1. Black Tea Bags
This tea will speed up the healing of ganglion cysts and prevents it from deteriorating further. This is as a result of the teas acidic and anti-inflammatory properties which helps to reduce swelling and ease the pain.
- Just soak the tea in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Draw the liquid from the bag and apply the bag to the cysts gently massaging for 10 minutes.
- Try this treatment several times daily for a few days.
2. Use Frankincense Oil
This oil will reduce the size of the cysts and also prevent its re-emergence.
- Just apply two drops of this oil to the cyst.
- On the treated area put on a clean, soft bandage.
- This treatment should be done daily for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Change the bandage frequently.
3. Try Aloe Vera
This plant has potent anti-inflammatory properties and speeds up the healing of the cysts. It will also relieve the swelling and pain.
- Use fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the milky gel.
- Apply this gel to the cysts and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
- Try this procedure should be done several times daily and for between 4 to 5 days.
4. Use Arnica Oil
This oil will relieve swelling and pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It will speed up the healing process and also boost blood flow.
- Dilute this oil in equal amounts of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply this to the cysts by gently rubbing it in.
- Secure the oil on the cyst with a bandage.
- Repeat the treatment thrice daily for a week.
- People are known to be sensitive to arnica, so consult your doctor.
5. Use Epsom Salt
Epsom salt will reduce inflammation and pain. It will also heal the cyst in just a few days.
- Mix 1 tablespoon with 1 to 2 cups of warm water.
- Use cotton balls or soak the affected region in the solution for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process at least twice a day and for 4 to 5 days.
You can reduce the inflammation and pain associated with ganglion cyst by eating food high in anti-inflammatory properties such as salmon, ginger and turmeric. If you still feel pain even after using these remedies please visit your doctor for further tests and treatment.
Another source linked in Healthy Living House ’s article: http://healthexpertgroup.com/