Distinctive exotic aroma of cinnamon acts as a magnet and attracts fans around magically. But other than that, cinnamon charm with its corny smell and strong taste has historically been used as a natural remedy and health protector.
Cinnamon is available throughout the year, but it is the most evocative in the cold days. It can be found in the form of sticks and powder form. The good side twigs have a longer shelf life, but they do not have as strong flavor as ground cinnamon powder.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is not only known as a tasty spice, but also as a source of vitamins and minerals. It contains calcium, iron, manganese, vitamin C and vitamin K, as well as dietary fiber, hence coming and its health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Combined with honey it strengthens immunity. Cinnamon with honey is not only delicious, but also a powerful combination that has been used as a natural remedy. During cold days, eat a teaspoon of honey and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon dissolved in a glass of warm water to improve the protection of the body from viruses and bacteria.
- Stimulates the brain. Studies have shown that the scent of cinnamon can improve cognitive abilities, memory, performance of certain tasks and to increase alertness and concentration. Cinnamon flavored gum or flavored candles were used in experiments.
- Helps people who suffer from type 2 diabetes. Known study conducted in 2003 with the participation of people who have had type 2 diabetes found that regular use of cinnamon can reduce blood sugar and bad (LDL) cholesterol. Research volunteers consumed 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon per day. Their cholesterol decreased by 18% and blood sugar levels by 24%. Doctors do not recommend cinnamon consumed in such large therapeutic doses, especially from people who are receiving medication, but small doses are not considered harmful.
- Helps against sore throat and dry cough. Soak two cinnamon sticks in a glass of cold water and leave them there for several hours. This drink contains water-soluble dietary fiber that softens scratching that causes sore throat, and thus reduce dry cough.
- Puts hunger under control. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar and therefore it eliminates hunger attacks. Nutritionists recommend a snack of baked apple slices spiced with cinnamon, because cinnamon and apples together have many benefits. It has been proven that people who regularly consume apples have fewer calories and have less fat in the belly.
- Helps in reducing menstrual pain. Women suffer each month from menstrual pain. This pain can be relieved by regular consumption of cinnamon.
- Has a positive effect in constipation. Cinnamon is an excellent source of dietary fiber that helps with constipation, also helps in case of irritable bowel syndrome. It is believed that regular intake of small amounts of cinnamon has a positive influence in the creation of gases in the stomach.
- Increases energy levels. Feel tired and without energy? Have a cup of fruit tea with a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon. It will increase vitality, and can you improve circulation. It is especially useful for people who are constantly complaining about having cold feet.
- Fight bad breath. Studies have shown that chewing cinnamon flavored gum is effective against bad breath. Also, cinnamon combined with honey and warm water in the morning can be used as a mouth rinse liquid. Such a mix keeps your breath fresh throughout the day. Many claim that cinnamon is an effective home remedy against toothache.
- Softens rough skin on feet. Mix juice of 5 lemons, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, ½ cup milk, ½ cup of water and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and dip your feet in the liquid for 15 minutes.
Cinnamon is unrivaled ingredient in rice pudding. But you can eat it in many different ways. Here are some delicious suggestions:
Place ½ teaspoon cinnamon directly into your Nescafe, cappuccino, hot chocolate or a glass of warm milk or fruit tea.
Sprinkle banana with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
Add ½ or a whole teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning meal of oatmeal.
Mix ¼ cup of honey with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and almond coated with the mixture (about 2 cups). Bake 15 minutes in the oven at a temperature of 180 ° C.
Make a delicious mixture of 2 teaspoons of peanut butter and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and apple with her brush thin slices. This is an ideal snack that you can eat before and after exercise.